Sometimes I get a recipe idea that gets me so excited that I drop everything I’m doing and sprint to the kitchen to bake. This was one of those thrilling endeavors and it was worth the lack of sleep night that happened as a consequence. Gluten/Grain/Dairy/Soy Free + they can be made sugar free too! Make them for dessert, a party or for breakfast Christmas morning!
A little well kept secret. Baked caked donuts are literally just cake batter baked in a donut pan. That’s all.. they are SO easy to make.
This cake recipe happens to be DELICIOUS. Its moist and tender.. a little piece of heaven in every bite. So, I’m going to recommend to you right now, that if you don’t have a donut pan- pull out a 9 inch round cake pan or a muffin tray. I can’t allow you to miss out..
1 packed cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 Cup Organic Cane Sugar or Xylitol or Erythritol.
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
3 Large Eggs
1 Tbs oil or melted butter.
1 1/2 Tsp. Mint or Peppermint Extract
1 1/2 Tsp. Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil and dust heavily with cocoa powder- 2 donut pans. (NOTE: if you don’t have two- feel free to use a muffin tin with cupcake liners for the remaining batter- or as I stated above just put all the batter into 1 cake pan. If you go this route make sure to oil and dust the cake pan with cocoa powder. )
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients. Beat using a hand mixer for a few minutes until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan- filling each donut only 3/4 full.
- Bake both trays at once for 17-20 minutes (bake until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Allow to cool completely. If need be- carefully run a knife around the edges of the donuts before removing them from the pan (after they have cooled).
- Need to avoid sugar- use Xylitol or Erythritol instead of cane sugar. The texture of the donuts won’t be as tender, but they will still taste great!
- Can’t have almonds? Make your own nut or seed flour using any other nut/seed of choice. I suspect that Hazelnut, Macadamias, Cashews or Sunflower seeds turned into flour would all taste great! To do this simply run the nut or seed in a high powdered blender or coffee grinder until you have a super fine flour. (If the flour is course- the recipe might not work as well.)
- Coconut flour WILL NOT WORK. (It never ever works as a replacement for Almond Flour!) And any of the grain based flours will NOT work. Stick to the nuts and seeds
- The eggs are needed- don’t try to remove them. Your donuts will end up more like really dense brownies if you try to use ANY of the egg substitutes.
- Trader Joes sells peppermint candies made out of Cane Sugar, Brown Rice Syrup and natural vegetable dyes
- Whole foods sells (I believe candy canes) also made out of Cane Sugar and natural vegetable dyes.
- The company Surf Sweets makes and sells Organic Candy Canes online. Their ingredients include: Cane Juice, Brown Rice Syrup, Natural Peppermint flavor & Fruit Juice. Their candy canes are produced on a certified gluten free line.
- I found Sugar Free Peppermint Candies made out of xylitol. (Dr. Johns Sugar Free Peppermint Xylitol Disks). They are gluten free & GMO free.