Vegan Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Egg Free. A basic multipurpose pie Crust that is fantastically easy to make and work with.
- Prep Time :
- Ready Time :
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour (or Arrowroot, or Potato)
- 3/4 cup Sweet Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Millet Flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 stick Softened Earth Balance Buttery Stick
- 2 tablespoons Flax Meal + 3 TBS of Hot water (mix to create gel)
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum (Or Guar Gum)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons Organic Applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
If you know anything about me- at this point you know that when it comes to Gluten Free baking- its highly important to me that the experience should be just as fun and easy as the baking you were used to before making the switch to this diet. Gluten Free Pie Crust has the reputation of crumbling apart as you try to put your pie together- yielding an ugly messy looking pie. It might be tasty- but who wants to serve an ugly pie? Not me..
So I spent days and more days.. making crust after crust. I’m so happy I did- (and I think you will be too)
This recipe is your basic run of the mill multipurpose Pie Crust used for anything and everything. If you feel like trying something a little extra fun check out my Gluten Free/Vegan Hazelnut Pie Crust OR the Oatmeal and Sweet Rice Pie Crust
- In a Bowl Combine Flours, Xanthan, Salt, Sugar and baking Powder.
- Make Flax Gel by combing the Flax Meal and Hot water.
- Cut in the Softened Butter and Flax meal Gel.
- Add in the Applesauce and using your hands combine into dough.
- Roll out on a sheet of plastic wrap or Wax Paper. Sprinkle with one Tbs of Sweet Rice Flour to prevent sticking.
- Use however you would like and Bake according to the recipe you are using. If Baking alone- bake at 350 Degrees 35 minutes or so.
This Crust will make 2 thin Crust or 1 large thick crust. Keep the crust covered well if you are not rolling out right away as it will dry out and lose some of its elasticity. If this happens add a little bit of additional applesauce so that the dough does not fall apart when Rolling.