Naturally Gluten Free. And Dairy/Soy/Egg/Rice Free. A comforting easy to make dinner.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 1 pound Organic Ground Beef
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 cups Chopped Carrots
- 3 Stalks Celery
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder (Or use fresh minced)
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1 1/2 cups Water + 2 TBS Cornstarch (Or other Starch Such as Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (or yams)
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Butter
- 1/4 cup Dairy Free Milk (I used Almond)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
I threw together this dinner quick last night. I had Shepherds Pie on the Brain- but was lacking regular potatoes- So I just used the Sweet potatoes that I did have.. To lesson the intense sweet flavor they have- I went with a savory- Mediterranean flavor profile. We enjoyed it! If you are a sweet potato kind of person- you will love this dish too!
- Bring a Pot of water to a rapid Boil and Add 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (or Yams) Cook until fork tender.
- Meanwhile Combine in a large Skillet Ground Beef, Onion, Carrots, Celery, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Garlic, Smoked Paprika, and cook until meat is fully cooked and Vegetables are tender.
- Add to the skillet 1/2 Cup of White Wine. Allow to cook down slightly.
- In a cup mix together 1 1/2 cups water and 2 Tbs of Cornstarch. Pour mixture into skillet and bring to a gentle boil and allow to thicken. Pour this meat and vegetable mixture into a 2.5 quart Casserole Dish and set aside.
- Remove Sweet Potatoes from Boiling water, run under cold water and pull skins off. Mash the Potatoes and add Earth balance Butter, 1/4 Cup of milk and spices. Place the smashed sweet potatoes on top of the meat mixture in the casserole dish and smooth out the top.
- Place in the oven and set oven to Broil- Broil until the top of the Shepherds pie just begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot!
The picture for this recipe- shows the Pie before getting placed in the Broiler!