Up until about 3 months ago, I thought that candida was a made up diagnosis given to people when nothing else could be figured out. That was all until it happened to me. Holy cow is candida a very real thing, not only is it real, but its terribly unpleasant.
In desperation to get rid of this yeast overgrowth I have tried everything. Some remedies helped, others made the situation worse. Here are some basic do’s and don’t that made a difference for me.
- Drink green juice everyday! I drink up to 40 oz each day of fruit free- green veggie juice (recipe below).
- Take Supplements such as: Oregano Oil, Gi- Synergy (by apex energetic) Candex and Colloidal Silver.
- Take Probiotics. They are essential in balancing gut bacteria and the overall system. Make sure your probiotics are alive!
- Take Magnesium Citrate with a lower dose of calcium citrate. Doing so will help keep your digestion in working order (Candida die off can cause constipation!)
- Take your supplements at the same time each day. Consistency is key!
- Eat a diet filled with Meat, Veggies and soaked non moldy nuts. (soak nuts in lemon or lime juice!) For those able Eggs, Cultured Goat and Sheep plain yogurt can be a great addition as well. Think high protein low carb!
- Request a script for Diflucan from your MD if the yeast is spreading to more than one area of your body.
- Eat lots of freshly minced garlic and coconut oil.
- Keep a solid sleep schedule and avoid stress. Adrenal fatigue and candida can run rampant together. Keeping your adrenals balanced is crucial in overcoming candida. One can cause the other and they can quickly make each other worse.
- Take your vitamins. Make sure your immune system has everything that it needs to aid in fighting off the infection.
- Avoid any foods that you are intolerant or allergic to like the plague.
- Drink lots of water!
- Balance blood sugar levels- If you are experiencing adrenal fatigue or blood sugar issues Acupuncture may be hugely beneficial.
- Fight your way through the die off period. It can be intense, and you may feel like you have the flu. But it means you are headed in the right direction. Brave your way through it. Understand that you may feel discouraged, depressed or too sick to do much of anything. This is normal, and it won’t last forever!
- Be patient and resilient! It might take time- months even. It also may get worse before it gets better! Keep up the hard work and you will make progress.
- Take the time to learn what works best for you! We are all different, and understanding which foods trigger the yeast to grow is the most important tool you have in overcoming the infection.
- Consume ANY sugar. Even low glycemic fruit- especially in the early stages of trying to get the infection under control.
- Consume grains and starchy foods. This includes the avoidance of Carrots, Parsnips and other starchy veggies. The Paleo Diet has worked best for me.
- Avoid Coconut Water. Though coconut is anti fungal the water contains sugar and will feed the yeast beast!
- Do NOT take Nystatin unless it has been compounded to remove sugar. YES, sugar.. why they put it in an antifungal is beyond me. It caused more problems for me than it helped.
- Avoid moldy nuts such as peanuts and pistachios.
- Avoid all vinegar except for Apple Cider Vinegar. Limit even the apple cider variety.
- Don’t skip doses of your medication or supplements.
- Don’t cheat on your diet. One starchy, sugary treat can set your progress 10 steps backwards. You may find that you have extreme cravings for sugar and carbs! Don’t give in!
Research shows that many health problems, including yeast and cancer flourish in an acidic environment. Green juice helps to create a much healthier alkaline internal balance- one that does not allow the yeast the flourish. I know I noticed a difference in my symptoms right away when I started to guzzle my green juice. Not only did I feel the yeast subsiding, but I also felt my system start to effectively detox. My die off symptoms were not as brutal! My energy levels came back to a much better place, and my adrenal and blood sugar issues quickly balanced out. Fresh green juice is a powerful healing tool- one that I’ll be clinging to for a long time to come!
Lime Green Juice
1 Large Cucumber
1/2 bag of celery
Lettuce/ Collard Greens/ Kale/ Swiss Chard
Handful of Parsley
Green Pepper (optional)
1-3 tbs Lime or Lemon Juice
Stevia to taste
Pinch of Sea Salt.
Juice veggies, stir in stevia and sea salt and serve over ice! Do any mix of vegetables that suites you. I find using a hefty dose of cucumber and celery makes for a nice and mild tasting juice. Add enough lemon/lime and stevia and it will start to taste like lemon or limeade.