Pesto Pizza holds a special place in my family.. and for 1 reason. My mom made the BEST pizza pie on the block. and I mean the BEST. It was and remains one of our favorite things to eat at family gatherings.
When I met my husband and cooked dinner for him for the very first time- in an attempt to impress him I made my mom’s pesto pizza! That was 7 years ago.. he’s stuck to me like glue. I’m quite sure this recipe is what made his heart pitter patter for me. Food IS the way to a mans heart. That’s no joke.
Fast forward to 7 months ago. My brother started dating the girl of his dreams. The first meal they made together was also THIS pesto pizza. Now they are engaged.
This pizza is love. lifelong blissful love. Make it for those that you love the very most.
Use my Grain Free Thick Crust Pizza (Gluten/Dairy/Soy Free) recipe.
par -bake the crust as called for in the recipe and then leave it out while you make the fresh pesto! Leave your oven on- so its hot for the second portion of baking.
- 5 cups (fresh) basil leaves
- 6 -7 Whole cloves of fresh garlic.
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 4 Tablespoons of Parmesan Cheese (see substitution notes below)
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Salt.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- 3 cups of chopped seeded tomatoes
- 3 fresh garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2-3 cups of shredded cheese (see substitution notes below)
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced basil leaves.
- Fresh Pepper (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional) to sprinkle on top.
- To remove seeds from tomatoes- slice each tomato into 4 quarters. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds- and then chop tomatoes to the size of your preference.
- On your par-baked crust spoon and spread the pesto first. Then top with the cheese. Follow up with the chopped tomatoes, slices of garlic clove, basil leaves, a dash of fresh pepper and then top with Parmesan cheese (optional). Place back in oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes.
- My husband reacts poorly to regular processed cheese but is able to consume raw cheeses perfectly fine. Since I made this pizza for him- that is what I used. I used raw Parmesan (If you can’t find that Pecorino Ramano or another aged sharp cheese will also work.) I was able to find this cheese at Trader Joes. Since mozzarella cheese is not available in raw form I used a block of white cheddar (that I hand shredded). I also was able to find that cheese at Trader Joes.
- For those of you (like me) that tolerate Goat and Sheep cheese well- you will be able to find Sheep’s milk Pecorino Cheese at Trador Joe’s and most large supermarkets (I can always find it at !) For the shredded cheese I buy a block of either Goat’s Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese (and hand shred it).
- For those 100% Dairy Free - leave all Dairy out of the Pesto & Use your favorite variety of nondairy shredded cheese. We like ! (Note: is not grain free)
- For substitution notes on the crust- please refer to the crust recipe.