Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Egg/Corn Free. A slightly tropical delicious crunchy easy to make meal.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
1 hour, 25 min
- 3/4 Cup Peeled Peaches (Fresh or Frozen) (Try Using Mango Instead for Some Variation.)
- 2 Inches Fresh Ginger
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Water (Or Try using Coconut Milk)
- 1/4 Cup Grapeseed Oil (Or other mild flavored Oil)
- 1 TBS Coconut Aminos (Or Gluten Free Soy Sauce)
- 1 TBS Coconut Nectar (Or other sweetner- Honey, Agave etc.)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 18 Organic Chicken Drumsticks
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Coconut (Unsweetened Coconut Flakes)
- 3/4 Cup Crushed Rice Chex Cereal
- Salt and Pepper
The flavor of this Chicken is hard to describe- My husband felt it has a slightly Tropical Flavor- and I think that’s a pretty accurate statement. What I can tell you is that the slightly slightly sweet curry undertones from the marinated Chicken combine incredibly well well the Coconut/ Panko Breading. Each bite provides a nice little crunch that we certainly enjoyed.
For my “Panko” Breadcrumbs I used my favorite Go- To Breading.. Gluten Free (and pretty much void of all the other common allergies too) Crushed Rice Chex Cereal. It is the most inexpensive way to get some incredible crunch in any recipe that calls for breadcrumbs.
My original intent was for this Recipe to use Mango – But of course I forgot that I was out- So I went with Peaches. I always keep a big bag in my freezer for smoothies. So- Feel free to go with either fruit. You can use frozen or fresh.
My Selection of Chicken Drumsticks was based on what we had in our freezer. This Marinade and recipe would taste incredible on a Pork Roast, Pork Tenderloin, Chicken Breast, Chicken Thighs, and even Tofu! Throw is on whatever you want!
In this recipe you’ll notice I have called for Coconut Aminos. Its a fantastic product that tastes very similar to Soy Sauce (though less salty) and is 100% Soy Free… so for the Soy avoiders like myself.. its a must have in the kitchen. If you eat Soy- feel free to use Gluten Free Soy Sauce or Liquid Aminos instead.
- In a Blender or food processor combine the Peaches, Peeled Fresh Ginger, Water, Oil, Coconut Aminos, Coconut Nectar and Curry Powder until well mixed. Add only as much water as you need to make the mixture cohesive- (I put the ranging amount as it will vary based on your selection of fresh or frozen fruit)
- Place this marinade and the Chicken Drumsticks in a large Bag (or In a covered dish) Place in fridge for several hours- if you have the time or are planning ahead you could leave it in the fridge overnight- this will create some incredible chicken. BUT if you are like me- and do not plan ahead well- just a few hours will do the job reasonably well.
- When ready to bake the chicken- turn your oven on to 350 degrees. Prep 1-2 cookie sheets by covering with foil (will save you scrubbing time later) Crush the Rice Chex Cereal and place its 3/4 cup amount and the Coconut Flakes in a bowl. Remove the chicken directly from the marinade and place it in the breading mixture. Cover chicken completely and place on the prepped cookie sheet. Do this for all the drumsticks. Then Sprinkle both sides of the Chicken with Salt and Pepper.
- Drizzle a little oil over the chicken drumsticks. Or to make things really easy- coat each drumstick on both sides with some non-stick spray (It works like a charm!)
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Then turn on your broiler and Roast the drumsticks an additional 10-15 minutes- flipping them once halfway through. This will give them that final browning that will help provide the extra crunch.
- Remove from oven- and allow them to cool just a few minutes and serve.
For A Tangy and Extra Gingery Dipping Sauce- Take the Leftover marinade and place it in a Sauce Pan- bring it to a boil and cook it until it reduces into a semi- thick sauce.
This recipe has been shared at Real Food Weekly.