Dairy Free and Vegan (naturally Gluten Free) Has a hint of Raspberry that you will enjoy.
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 1 cup (2 Sticks) Earth Balance Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Raspberry Extract
- Gluten Free/Vegan Chocolate chips (a cup for so)
- Slivered Almonds (roughly a half cup)
Toffee is actually pretty easy to make. There are just a few essential things you need to know- Your cooking pot MUST be heavy or non-stick. I typically use a cast iron sauce pan to make my toffee.. I used a heavy bottom stainless steal pot once and ended up with a burnt mess. The mixture will bubble- but do not fret it will NOT splatter in your face.
Your going to need a candy thermometer and parchment paper! Make sure to NEVER heat the toffee above 300 degrees!
- Place Butter, Sugar, Water and Salt into pot. Over medium heat. Mix together . Mix every so often as the toffee changes. Bring it to 275 degrees. Ideally the toffee is best when you bring it to 285 degrees- or even up to 300 degrees. The higher temp you bring it the more “brittle like” it will be. When I hit 275 I started to smell slight burning- so I pulled it off the stove.. (You do NOT want burning.. it will NOT taste good!) I still had great results removing it at 275 degrees. (Regular Butter can also be used here- I noticed that the Regular Butter was able to handle higher temperatures- up to 300 degrees)
- As soon you remove the pot from heat- quickly mix in the Raspberry Extract.
- Pour the mixture onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Drop several handfuls of Chocolate chips scattered evenly across the hot toffee. Allow them to melt for a minute and then using the back of a spoon spread the chocolate evenly across the surface of the toffee.
- Scatter across the Toffee the Almonds!
- Allow to Cool fully- and then break into uneven pieces. Store in a closed container. If exposed to air for too long it has the tendency to soften some.
- Bring to a holiday party- or wrap this toffee up as a fantastic Christmas Gift!