Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Egg Free and Vegan. Delicious Year Round.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 4 cups Concord Grapes (Any other grapes type may be used)
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk (the full cream version)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 5 Egg Yolks (see directions if you wish to omit)
This Fun and Fancy Ice Cream is really quite easy to make. It has wonderful grape flavor that really pops- with a gentle coconut undertone. This recipe can be made with or without Eggs- read on..
- Add 4 cups of grapes to a saucepan. Crush the grapes with a potato masher and bring to a gentle boil for 5 minutes- all the while mashing. After the 5 minutes strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve- reserve the liquids and place into the freezer to quickly cool down. (but not to freeze- only maybe 5 minutes)
- In a new saucepan combine the Coconut milk, sugar and Eggs. If you do not wish to use eggs simply use 1 1/2 cans of coconut milk instead of 1.
- Once the grape juice has chilled slightly- pour it in and mix it with the milk, sugar and eggs. Turn on the burner – and cook at a medium-low heat 5-10 minutes to create a VERY thin custard. You will notice it thicken just slightly. Do NOT boil. If you are not using the eggs- the mixture will not thicken and you only need to briefly heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap- place in the fridge to chill from 3 hours or as long as overnight.
- Process in an Ice cream machine 30-35 minutes and promptly place in the freezer to harden further.
If you don’t want to bother with fresh grapes- feel free to substitute 1 3/4 cups of store bought Grape juice in their place.