Gluten/Dairy/Egg Free. A special slavic cookie now allergy free.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 3/4 cup Sweet Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Sorghum Flour
- 3/4 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon Ener-G egg Replacer (dry)
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder ( I use Double Acting..)
- 2 Sticks of Softened Earth Balance Butter (1 cup)
- 8 oz Dairy/ Gluten Free Cream Cheese (I used Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese)
- 2 tablespoons Dairy Free Milk (I used Almond Milk)
Pronounced: Ga-Loch-Skee. I had to throw that In due to the fact that I personally battled over this pronunciation for quite some time:) These are my husbands FAVORITE. He’s not a cookie or a anything sweet kind of guy. But yet he often mentions his moms Kolacky recipe.
Due to his mother’s kindness -I just got my hands on this famous recipe. I had never actually made these before my pre-gluten free days but have enjoyed them several times from her kitchen. So with the holidays approaching I figured now was the perfect time to get in the kitchen and test out some conversions for the recipe. This recipe I am posting my husband loved- he said they were very “close” to the original. Since its been awhile since Ive tasted the original its hard for me to say how close I actually am or give any kind of accurate statement. But I can tell you that these are good! If you made these often before also going gluten free- Id love to hear your thoughts on the recipe!
When looking at the recipe itself it occured to me why my husband loves these- they contain very little sugar and a TON of butter.. They are more like a extra buttery biscuit than a cookie- Combined with the Sweet preserve center they are a a truly wonderful baked treat.
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer (or any old large bowl that you can use a hand mixer with later) Combine the Sweet Rice Flour, Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Dry Egg Replacer, Xanthan Gum, Sugar, Salt and Baking Powder.
- Turn on the mixer or hand beater and combine the Softened Butter, “cream cheese” and Non-Dairy Milk.
- The mixture will be pretty wet. Cover and place it in the fridge to chill for several hours. I sped up this process by sticking my dough into the freezer for 35-40 minutes.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dust a large surface 0r cutting board with Additional Sweet Rice Flour. Gently roll out sections of the dough to 1/4 inch thin (or thinner!) Dust additional Rice flour as needed to prevent sticking. Move at a good pace and as the dough warms up it will become sticker. (Hold the remaining dough in the fridge or freezer until you work with it)
- Cut the rolled out dough into circles (size is up to you) and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Press your thumb into the center of each cookie creating a depression- but do not push all the way through. (we don’t want any holes!) Fill each depressed spot with a small teaspoon or Jelly (or Preserve)
- Bake for 13-16 minutes. This time varies depending on how thick you have made your cookies.
- Lightly Dust each cookie with Powdered Sugar. (I forgot to do this step
This recipe made 2 large trays full of cookies. I honestly forgot to count them- I’m guesstimating that I made around 36 cookies. This amount naturally will vary though based on the size and thickness you decide to make each cookie.
These Cookies can also be cut in a square shape instead- if you choose this route- bend and overlay 2 opposite edges over the filling.
*I recently helped a Friend Figure out to make these using Egg and Regular Cream cheese- If you would like to do this- use one Egg Yolk and Omit the Egg Replacer and Non-dairy Milk called for. When replacing the Dairy Free Cream Cheese- make sure to use FULL fat Cream cheese. Everything else in the recipe can remain the same!*