Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Rice Free. A Delicious Fall Treat. Serve with Dairy Free Ice Cream and Cinnamon sprinkled on top!
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 1/2 cup Millet Flour (Rice Flour could also be used)
- 1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Melted Earth Balance Butter (Or Coconut Oil for corn free)
- 1 Organic Egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum (Or Guar Gum for Corn free)
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Organic Apple sauce
- 2 Small Organic Apples Peeled and Chopped
- 4-5 cups Non Dairy Milk Of choice ( I used Almond Milk)
For the past several weeks I have had this burning desire to eat some hot apple dumplings. But not your traditional Pie crust dumplings (which are also SO good) But a boiled dumpling. Similar to the dumplings you might find in a soup or stew- but maybe a little firmer and filled with chopped apples, sugar and spices. I scoured the web..and didn’t find any recipe like this.. SO testing began. and it was a long process.. But FINALLY last night I nailed them
You’ll begin to notice my Recipes containing less and less Rice Flour. In this recipe- I let Millet be the star of the show- however if you only have Rice flour on hand.. feel free to use it in place of the Millet in equal amounts.
I hope you enjoy my little creation
- In a Bowl Combine the Millet Flour, Sorghum Flour, and Tapioca Flour, Baking Powder, Sugar, Xanthan Gum and Spices.
- Mix in the Egg, Applesauce and Melted Butter to create a fairly thick mixture. Stir in the Chopped Apples.
- Bring The Non-Dairy Milk to a Gentle Simmer in a Tall Sauce pan- Using a spoon plop in dallops of the dumpling mixture. (side by side) Depending on the size of your pot- will decide how much milk you use. You want to milk to come roughly half way up the sides of the dumplings.
- Cover and continue to Simmer for 10 minutes (No peaking!!) Watch for over boiling- nondairy milk often rises when it comes to a heavy boil.
- Scoop out the dumplings and serve Warm with a scoop of Vanilla Dairy Free Ice Cream and sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
To make an easy glaze for these dumplings- try thickening some Apple Cider with Cornstarch and Adding some cinnamon and Nutmeg!
This Recipe was submitted to.